Dawn’s Opinion: Senator Obama is making me scratch my head in confusion

After sitting here for an hour deciphering what Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) said at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, I think I am more confused. I was desperately searching for the reference by Obama about talking to Iran, and finally found it. It is very difficult to figure out what Obama was even talking about. While I was listening to him in person, it was as if he were just saying stuff off of a list that someone told him he had to say. The topics he was randomly throwing in there, which no one else had brought up, were so confusing even General Petraeus didn't know how to answer his question. Obama attempted to rephrase the question, and then gave up and just gave a miniature speech. The way Obama spoke is so roundabout, and such a mess, that I think I have an ulcer just from trying to figure out what on earth he said. If this entire piece had been said by someone other than Obama, a presidential candidate, I would not have used one single quote because the entire thing almost makes him sound like he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. Although I am sure he most certainly does know what he is talking about, the multitudes of "um, uh, and er" in his speech, along with completely unclear questions for witnesses before the Senate, made it appear otherwise. Listen

After sitting here for an hour deciphering what Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) said at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, I think I am more confused. I was desperately searching for the reference by Obama about talking to Iran, and finally found it. It is very difficult to figure out what Obama was even talking about. While I was listening to him in person, it was as if he were just saying stuff off of a list that someone told him he had to say. The topics he was randomly throwing in there, which no one else had brought up, were so confusing even General Petraeus didn’t know how to answer his question. Obama attempted to rephrase the question, and then gave up and just gave a miniature speech.

The way Obama spoke is so roundabout, and such a mess, that I think I have an ulcer just from trying to figure out what on earth he said. If this entire piece had been said by someone other than Obama, a presidential candidate, I would not have used one single quote because the entire thing almost makes him sound like he doesn’t have a clue what he is talking about. Although I am sure he most certainly does know what he is talking about, the multitudes of “um, uh, and er” in his speech, along with completely unclear questions for witnesses before the Senate, made it appear otherwise.
Listen

About TRNS Washington Desk

View all posts by TRNS Washington Desk
TRNS Washington Desk
News updates from on and around Capitol Hill.

16 Responses to “Dawn’s Opinion: Senator Obama is making me scratch my head in confusion” Subscribe

1. J. Taylor April 9, 2008 at 1:51 am #

If you didn’t understand his questioning, you probably shouldn’t do political commentary. Particularly on a subject as serious and pressing as Iraq.

2. Pete April 9, 2008 at 2:04 am #

Agree with the previous post. If you couldn’t follow the intelligent questions (that no one else seems able to ask) Senator Obama asked, then perhaps you need another job.

3. James April 9, 2008 at 2:07 am #

Wow! I like how people read the comment Policy before they post an insulting comment.

Ah! yes! I knew he couldn’t hold it for too long! His position on talking to Iran and going against the established foregn policy towards Iraq Is what landed him in big trouble in Congress and he was strongly criticized. This could put his endorsement by Senator Kennedy in jeapardy?

I can’t wait to see how this one plays out. And yes, maybe he is starting to show signs again that he needs better speach writers.

4. Elbram April 9, 2008 at 2:21 am #

I agree, it seemed rather simple to understand what Obama said…maybe you should think about getting better rest before these things…

5. Marie April 9, 2008 at 2:28 am #

Finally!! A reporter who says what I have been thinking from the beginning! Senator Obama needs to have a clearer stance on the issues and not talk around the topics but rather about the topics. Do Americans really need to analyze the answers to his questions in order to have a definitive answer? Doesn’t that only cause more confusion and subjective thinking? A president should have a clear vision of leadership especially when talking about Iraq.

6. Nicolee April 9, 2008 at 3:01 am #

Wow… Thanks. I consider myself intelligent and reasonably knowledgeable about Iraq…and I could not figure it out either.

Maybe because it was HIS “confusion” between the countries of “Iraq” and “Iran.” So this now makes McCain’s misspeak look not so serious if the Obama man of words with notes in front of him confuses these things.

And Hillary spoke very clearly, asked good questions, and made a lot of sense.

7. Daniel Scott Buck April 9, 2008 at 4:18 am #

Read this article by Stephen Kinzer in the Guardian. I think it will help you understand what Obama is talking about.

8. Deward Bowles April 9, 2008 at 4:21 am #

Iraq

9. Rainy April 9, 2008 at 7:55 am #

Nicole, your exaggerating and you’re just a Clinton supporter anyway. You’re already biased against Obama. He was quite clear about what he was asking and he’s been saying since he got into this race that we should talk with Iran.

10. James April 9, 2008 at 12:49 pm #

Hey, You have to admit it takes Guts to go up against the system even especially the one in Washington.
    Let’s see how this one plays out! Spose Obama got the Nomination? Do we really want a man for president who dare challenges our foriegn policy on the aniversary of our fith year in Iraq…In the middle of a cival war,

Yes I would vote for Obama, Maybe a bit of Dialogue with Iraq would actually work towads peace. If it brought down the wall at Berlin why cant it help us with Iran? Do we REALLY want to go to war with IRAN.

Not all Iranians hate Israel, They want peace.

11. James April 9, 2008 at 12:53 pm #

I meant Dialogue with Iran not Iraq,

12. Patrickometry April 9, 2008 at 1:26 pm #

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Obama made good points. He asked questions and was respectful. Near the end of his question time he tried to ask a question in such a way that the General and Ambassador would answer with specifics. He then asked for more time in order to explain his reasoning. Let’s be serious here, Obama is in the final three for President. People want and need to hear his way of confronting a complex challenging issue. Iraq provided that. He was effective. And he was clearly asking sincere questions regarding what is realistic and what is not.

13. James April 9, 2008 at 1:40 pm #

My point Patrick, is that yes Obama made some good points, but we need to make sure he could actually hold his own at a peace summit without any speachwriters. I really do think he could possibly negotiate a peace deal with Iran.
    I admire him for challengeing our own foreign policy and sending them a message that we want peace.

14. Roger LeRoy Larson April 9, 2008 at 6:14 pm #

Marie: Your comment and those of the 1st two or four are all I need to analyze the likelyhood that your perspective is as round about certain as you think. I have heard comments that Obama is not clear. Of course he could be more offensive. It seems that is the only thing clear with some. And if this seems snide, maybe it is hard to be clear with some without some sort of labeling. Maybe that is what makes Obama a miss for some. Or maybe it is the offensive posturing they miss. For a primer on hypocrisy or this perspective this is what got me here in a roundabout way: http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=25875&s=rcmp The Thom Hartmann Show; I do look forward to hearing or reading more of Obama’s work on Petraeus.

15. Roger LeRoy Larson April 9, 2008 at 6:28 pm #

It is kind of funny how we pick on Obama for his words “um” and “er” and for his great speeches just being words. Well Bush and McCain can deliver words well. And then there are those that wonder what Obama means? What with the legacy of the administration, and McCain and now these hearings?

16. S. Dawn Jones April 9, 2008 at 7:20 pm #

The point of the post, is that Obama’s questions are always rephrased and basically explained in other people’s posts/news reports so you never hear how he has really spoken them. If you hear him in person and unedited, he sounds very uncertain about what the message is that he is trying to convey.