U.S. Continues To Help Rebuild The Philippines

“I think that the United States, the UN, and the local organizations really did an outstanding job,” said Catholic Relief Services Chief Operating Officer Sean Callahan in reference to Typhoon Haiyan.
Typhoon Haiyan damage in Leyte, Philippiones, November 2013. Flickr photo: European Commission DG ECHO

Typhoon Haiyan damage in Leyte, Philippiones, November 2013. Flickr photo: European Commission DG ECHO


(TRNS) — At a hearing before the House Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations, witnesses praised the U.S. government’s immediate response to Typhoon Haiyan and focused on future reconstruction efforts.

“I think that the United States, the UN, and the local organizations really did an outstanding job,” said the Chief Operating Officer of Catholic Relief Services Sean Callahan of the response to the typhoon.

Haiyan killed over 5,600 people, injured approximately 26,000, and affected nearly 11 million others when it hit the Philippines on November 8.

Committee Chairman Chris Smith (R-N.J.) shared the devastation he witnessed when he visited the Philippines last week.

“One man told us how his father drowned only a few feet from where we stood and how he had stoically carried many waterlogged dead bodies to a mass grave,” Smith said.

Assistant administrator for Democracy Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance of the US Agency for International Development Nancy Lindborg said the U.S. began working with the Filipino government before the storm even hit and with other organizations to provide the immediate emergency response.

According to Lindborg, the U.S. provided about 2,450 tons of emergency supplies, evacuated 21,000 people, and gave $60,000 in food assistance.

Catholic Relief Services and World Vision also had witnesses at the hearing who testified about the many services they have provided to the people of the Philippines including providing food, water, shelter, healthcare, and focusing on protecting vulnerable individuals.

“We have learned through our many decades of involvement with relief efforts like this that one of our first priorities must be providing a safe place for children,” said the Senior Director of Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs for World Vision U.S. Chris Palusky. “It is urgent to engage and work with vulnerable children and families now to ensure that their desperation does not lead to the exploitation of children in exchange for money, food, or medicine.”

All witnesses stated a commitment to rebuilding in a more resilient way. Witnesses also called on congress to continue to fund recovery efforts and keep the national spotlight on the destruction in the Philippines.

“We see all to often that after the cameras go away that these kinds of responses go away,” said Lindborg. “As the spotlight on the immediate crisis dims, the U.S. government will enhance our support for these vital preparedness, relief, and early recovery efforts.”

“It’s going to be a marathon,” said Palusky as he encouraged Congress to maintain interest in recovery efforts.

DC Bureau Footer

About TRNS Washington Desk

View all posts by TRNS Washington Desk
News updates from on and around Capitol Hill.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

The World in 2:00 – November 25, 2015

The World in 2:00

The U.N. warns that political crisis in Burundi is dragging the country toward civil war.

DHS Releases Video On Refugee Vetting Process

Refugees wait for food deliveries at Syria's Yarmouk camp. February 26,2014. UN Photo/UNRWA.

“We can continue to ensure our own security, while doing our share to welcome refugees fleeing violence,” Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson said.

Wednesday, November 25

● USPIRG releases 30th annual toy safety report

● 86,000 Syrian immigrants live in the U.S.

● Atheist “nativity” celebrates Bill of Rights

● Doctors endorse wider use of generic drugs

● Post office starts “Letters FROM Santa”

● Girls’ toy list: Barbie soars as Frozen fades

Pentagon: Russian Jet Was Flying Over Anti-Assad Rebel Area

Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook said that U.S. forces heard the Turks give ten warnings to the two Russian pilots to leave the airspace.

Tunisia Declares State Of Emergency After Bus Blast Kills Presidential Guards

Tunisian President has declared a month-long state of emergency after the bus explosion carrying presidential guards killed 12 and injuring at least 17. Sources say the attack may have been linked the Islamic State group (ISIS).

US-Led Coalition Against IS to ‘Continue as Planned’ After Turkish Border Dispute With Russia

A spokesman for the US-led military campaign against IS confirmed Turkish claims that the downed Russian warplane was given ten warnings over a period of five minutes.