Additional Unemployment Vote Could Come This Week

Under the plan, taxable income in pensions would be increased, thus providing funds to offset costs.

US CapitolThe Senate could soon vote on a delayed extension of long-term unemployment insurance that would attract Republicans by “smoothing” pension programs for federal workers.

Unemployment insurance for the long-term unemployed expired at the end of December, but a plan to provide three additional months of funding has not been able to attract Republican support.

The plan could come to a vote in the upper chamber as soon as Thursday.

About TRNS Washington Desk

View all posts by TRNS Washington Desk
News updates from on and around Capitol Hill.

18 Responses to “Additional Unemployment Vote Could Come This Week” Subscribe

1. John February 4, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

What ever they have already screwed us over…its too late for many of us who are facing reposession , phones being turned off, rent was due…BUT OMFG better get that goddamn farm bill cuz thats just mission fucking critical isn’t I seriously hate them all , but most of all any allegiance I had to the Republican party is gone gone gone…I will actually change my party affiliation finally after 25 years

• Losingeverything February 4, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

My allegiance as well. Yeah that farm bills was way so more important to pass before the needs of the suffering? Notice how they never say when they will vote just some time this week? How about before you leave for the day or better they can’t leave until it passes? A**MONKEYS~

• belijo February 4, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

You hung in there a long time, John.

2. Losingeverything February 4, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

Whats that supposed to mean could come to a vote? They should have to stay and make it pass. Not go home like some of us cannot anymore! Just an awesome job guys way to go in helping out?

• missmelissa_33 February 4, 2014 at 6:05 pm #

They are on leave AGAIN tomorrow, so they are “hoping” for a vote on Thursday! Makes me sick! Rent has been due, already lost my vehicle, and many many other things are due, nothing important, just groceries, PG&E, insurance, etc…

• Losingeverything February 4, 2014 at 6:14 pm #

What da hell for they have only passed two bills and those were done before this last break? Work one hundred days a year is just BS! I hear you, we all have bills to pay and I am about to lose my car and what little I had left in my life as well….

• jose February 4, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

It is time we replace all the millionaires in the senate and congress

• Losingeverything February 4, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

Everyone should have a term limit shorter than what they have and all pay needs to be halved. People will still work those jobs.

• America'sCitizen February 4, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

Vote is scheduled for Thursday. That will happen. Just need 5 Republicans to sign off on it, THAT is the tricky part.

3. JKraig February 4, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

This should easily (EASILY) have bipartisanship support. The Republicans constantly going on about how the economy is’nt doing that great- extend unemployment, then use the fact you had to to beat the dems and the pres about the ears come Nov. But nope, they want to just sit on their hands- I just don’t understand this kamikaze kind of tactic. How does this possibly make you look good, except to a minority in your own party (provided their not on unemployment) Then, then, THEN want to talk about immigration reform- not enough jobs in the first place, so let’s kick Americans in the teeth EVEN more. I have been a Republican for 25 years, all because I thought they stood for what was morally right in America . . . . . . I worked the same job for 32 years, and got laid off and my benefits ran out the first week in January, and with no job leads (I’ve applied at McDonald’s, Dollar General, Target, etc. etc. . I’ve tried every place I can think of) me and my family have had worse than any other point in our lives. Blocking gay marriage and limiting abortion is great- but it doesn’t feed my family, or keep them warm. I will remember (and so will my wife and our relatives, who we’ll probably have to move in with) come next election.

• missmelissa_33 February 4, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

I am in the same boat JKraig – you would think with the experience I have, that at least taco bell, dollar tree, Target, Walmart would at least interview me, but no. I feel for your family! I am fortunate that I don’t currently have children, but have lost my vehicle, so far, it’s after the 1st of the month, so many things are due, trying to stay positive!

• Losingeverything February 4, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

I as well have applied to every job there is and would think they would talk to me too,but like you nope! They don’t want to train us to have us leave in a month or two? Uh to what, no ones looking at us now? I myself have applied to over 500 jobs and had one interview as of yet? Just so sad out there, and I too am about to lose what little I have to look or even keep a job….IF I was to get one?

• jKraig February 4, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

It’s hard to stay positive, back when I was growing up, we were poor (we mostly ate rice/beans/corn, with a little meat thrown in. We had a whole chicken every Sunday though. Clothes I got were from family or donations at the church. I remember us not having a car when I was 6-7 or so, and my father walking 2 miles to work until his uncle helped us out, and this was Texas- it gets hot in the summer.) but I was told this was a country that even a poor guy could rise up and be better off, that hard work and dedication mattered. So I stuck at my job, with 3 kids, and I ended up doing OK. Nothing great, but I was proud of me and my family. Then, I lost my job and all that seems gone now. My oldest is in college, has a part time job, but we tried to send money when we can. I want him to be better than me . . . . my middle kid just turned 16 in Sept. and we were trying to work out how to get her a decent car when I lost my job. I just feel forgotten in all this. I’m not a “welfare queen”, I played by the rules, why does t seem like I’m forgotten ( like so many others)?

4. Genna February 4, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

I already changed my political affiliation. If everyone who is discusted with this whole thing took the few minutes it takes to do this, it would send a very clear message.

5. America'sCitizen February 4, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

vote is scheduled for 11:00 am EST thursday

6. jcm February 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm #

This is our fault!!!! America we ellected these republican aristocrats into office! mpi
    I was no diffrent I fell for the fancy campigns and there phony agendas. My parents were proud republicans and they were poor. I grew up no diffrent, struggled my whole life and worked mailnly jobs that required 6 days a week 11 to 12 hour days. I paid well over 10k EVERY year in federal tax alone. After 15 years of this from 18 years old until now 34 years old. I live in NY and costs are extreem making it very hard to save. This past april I started collecting U.I and started looking for a job. April until December was no vacation I basicly could not afford to go anywhere for my $300 a week would cover basic expenses and the rest of the bills (apx another $300 a week) were obviosly paid from my savings account.
    U.I is not a hammock ! Thats like saying a pay out from your car insurance is a hammock. We paid into this very system JUST IN CASE there was a lay off.
    This makes me sick and I will NEVER VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN AGAIN EVER!

7. jcm February 5, 2014 at 10:38 pm #

The only thing I could say is …. They vote on our fate, We also have a vote on theres. If this continues then …. VOTE THEM ALL OUT OF OFFICE !!!

8. Midwestmike February 6, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

How about this for an idea. The answer is NO, get off your fat a– and support yourself.