TRNS News Notes By Victoria Jones
Sign up here for exclusive notes delivered to your inbox each morning.
July marks the first time since 1997 that more than 200,000 jobs have been added to the economy for six straight months.
Here’s what happened today in American political history.
● Consumers should beware overdraft protection
● USDA unveils poultry inspection system
● Oil and gas industry burdens taxpayers
● Rebellion smolders after Bundy standoff
● Sales tax holiday is not a vacation
● Religion and politics: A taxable mixture
Two Democrats joined Senate Republicans in blocking the bill, which would have provided $2.7 billion in emergency funding for the southern U.S. border.
In a rare glimpse of bipartisanship, the Senate approved the bill to overhaul the VA on the cusp of the August recess.