By LUKE VARGAS
(TRNS) – The FBI has released new video and photographs documenting what it believes are two suspects in Monday’s bombing at the Boston Marathon.
Addressing reporters at the Sheraton in downtown Boston Thursday evening, FBI Special Agent Rick DesLauriers said that the two men seen in the above image are the only known people of interest.
DesLauriers said that the man seen in the white ball cap is considered to be the only suspect involved in planting the explosive devices, and that he was seen placing his bag in front of the Forum restaurant at the site of the second blast.
In his brief remarks, DesLauriers acknowledged that the FBI’s investigation had already benefitted from public tips, but he cautioned the public against reviewing images other than those released by the agency.
“For clarity, these images should be the only ones the public should view to assist us,” DesLauriers said. “Other photos should not be deemed credible, and they unnecessarily divert the public’s attention in the wrong direction and create undue work for vital law enforcement resources.”
In the hours after the bombings, numerous online communities distinguished themselves as crowd-sourced investigators, with numerous contributors uploading and commenting on photos and video stills from the marathon route.
“Somebody out there knows these individuals as friends, neighbors, coworkers, or family members,” DesLauriers said in his emotional appeal. “Though it may be difficult, the nation is counting on those with information to come forward and provide it to us.”
As a part of that effort, the FBI has provided details on how to supply the bureau with tips and digital files. Instructions for uploading files as large as 2 gigabytes are provided on a special FBI webpage.